766,220 JACKSON members around the world
Stay informed about JACKSON Family online & offline events!
See our recent family gatherings
JACKSON Family History
This was originally a predominantly English and Scottish surname which derives from the personal names Jaques or John, both originating from the ancient Hebrew 'Yochanan', meaning 'Jehovah has favoured me (with a son)'.
The name John and its diminutive, Jack, was introduced as a personal name to Britain by returning Crusaders from the Holy Land in the 12th century, and grew rapidly in popularity. It was a patronymic surname, and the suffix '-son' was added to indicate that the ancestor in question was 'the son of Jack'. In Scotland, Jack was commonly a diminutive of James.
Early recordings include such examples as William Jagge and Robert Jacke in the Pipe Rolls of the counties of Huntingdonshire and Staffordshire in 1251 and 1302 respectively. Medieval examples of the slightly later patronymics include Adam Jakson, a witness in the Assize Court of Staffordshire in 1351, Willelmus Jacson or Jackson who was listed in the Poll Tax returns of the county of Yorkshire in 1379, whilst Andrew Jacson was admitted to the rank of burgess of the city of Aberdeen, Scotland, in 1409.
It is found throughout the whole of England, and is particularly numerous in the northern counties, as well as in parts of Scotland, especially the southern counties of that country.
- American President Andrew Jackson (1767—1845) originated the ubiquitous American slang expression ‘OK’.
- English test cricketer, Sir Stanley Jackson (1870—1947), who later become Governor of Bengal as well as Chairman of the Conservative Party
- Peter Jackson (1861— 1901), the first great black boxer, won both the Australian heavyweight title in 1886 and the British Empire title in 1892.
- Glenda May Jackson CBE (b. 1936) is an English actress and politician. She has won the Academy Award for Best Actress twice.
Who have we missed?
Tell us about any famous JACKSON (or surname variant) you think we should add here. We will get our genealogists to check them out and add them to the list. Thanks!
Join the conversation with the JACKSON tribe
- Find your JACKSON ancestor
- Tell us about your JACKSON Family
- Tell us about your JACKSON ancestors
- Ask a question about the JACKSON history
- Leave a message for JACKSON family members
Areas of Origin for JACKSON
Invite more JACKSON family members!
Write an email address and click 'Invite' to share this page with more members of the JACKSON tribe.
Family Coat of Arms Generator
Why not see what your family crest could look like based on your own family characteristics?Create Crest